Saturday, October 8, 2011

adjusting.



Well, we've been home for almost two weeks and I'm still missing Haiti like crazy. And not adjusting very well. Life here is so different from there. It's fast. When you're there, you take the time to see the beauty of the people, mountains, and stars. Here, we don't do that. We do now, since it's kinda hard to miss the leaves changing colors but do we do it everyday and do we do it in more than just our surroundings? Do we look at the beauty in each other or the people we drive by on the street or our family members? (which that one is probably the hardest to see) We're made in God's Image! We SHOULD see the beauty. Every day.

You must not make for yourself an idol of
any kind or an image of anything in the
heavens or on the earth or in the sea. You
must not bow down to them or worship
them, for I, the Lord your God, am a
jealous God who will not tolerate your
affection for any other gods.

-Exodus 20:4-5

I'm very thankful to live for a God who will fight for my wandering heart. This verse applies so well to my life lately. God's been showing me the idols in my life, then stripping me completely from them. You see, these idols aren't bad things. They become bad when you put them above God. When you look to them for joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment. Relationships- family and friends, is a big one for me. That's where my joy, satisfaction, and fulfillment were coming from; not all of it, most of it was from God, but some of it wasn't. God cares about your whole heart; He wants all of it. Even if the slightest bit wanders, He will go after it. He will do anything to get it- until He has it all. Until you only have Him to look to for joy, satisfaction and fulfillment. To be filled with Jesus and only Jesus: true joy. true satisfaction. true fulfillment.

He emptied my hands of my treasured store,
And His covenant love revealed,
There was not a wound in my aching heart,
The balm of His breath has not healed.
Oh, tender and true was His discipline sore,
In wisdom, that taught and tried,
Till the soul that He sought was trusting in Him,
And nothing on earth beside.

No comments:

Post a Comment